Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Beautiful Day in Colorado

It seems the more you get into agility the more certain things start to happen:

  • You drive by an expansive field with beautiful green grass and you think "that field needs agility equipment"
  • You see a huge barn in the winter and want to move your equipment in
  • Your backyard gets filled with your "toys"
  • You pay attention to exactly how long your dogs legs or torso are
  • You can describe in detail how your dog moves
  • You learn more than you wanted to know about K9 rehab
  • You have tried every treat or toy ever made for a dog
  • You have more film footage of your dog than your child or spouse

Today was a BEAUTIFUL day here in Colorado, high of 62.  Deciding that we needed to be outside I took the dogs for a run.  Light warm breeze, light layer of clothes and three border collies all racing nowhere really fast to see who could win not sure what.



Not really wanting to go back inside to work, I decided to get some slow motion video of the dogs.  

I have been intensely curious how my dogs move.  I am trying to understand the mechanics about how each of them runs a little better.  I want to glean a little more about what they do well physically and where they need work.  So, today I started with ground speed.

I overlaid the three dogs and then showed them individually, first Tangle, Split and then Tip.  

Things that were interesting to me:
  • Tip uses a ton of energy when she is running, watch how her head moves
  • Tangle, of all the dogs has the smoothest top line when running
  • Split won the race, today he was faster.  This surprised me since Tangle usually does.
  • Tip and Tangle both have uneven reach when comparing their right and left front legs.  Need to stretch and help them with that.
Yep, took video of myself as well, but that isn't going public :)  I have a few things to fix in my stride as well.

No comments: