Sunday, May 9, 2010

High Impact, Low Impact

Recently I have been feeling my feet and sometimes my bones. Yes, it is probably age. But this got me thinking about my dogs and how I train them. I am able to tell if I have a hard workout, easy, I want to sit in my chair. But, with my dogs who are Bcs, they don't give up their aching secrets as easily. So I wonder, should I design workout routines that are low impact and save the high impact workouts a couple of times a week.

Can I design low impact workouts that still work on the skills that need to be refreshed and improved. Some of the answers are easy, but I am curious how far I can get with this idea.

Low Impact - exercise or activities that involve minimal striking of a body part (usually the feet) against a hard surface. Any physical sport with minimal wear and trauma to weight-bearing joints, especially of the foot, knee, hip
  • Soft surfaces lower the impact
  • Short exercise periods throughout the day should be separated by long rest periods.
  • Exercise periods should be consistent & evenly spaced, rather than compacting all activity into a weekend.
  • Walk the dog slowly for 5 to 10 minutes to warm up. Can proceed this with range of motion exercises
  • Lower the contact obstacles
  • Work on balance and coordination

Ideas for lowering impact

  • Lower jumps below the shoulders
  • Lower the height of the contact equipment
  • If working weaves keep the entrances of the channel weaves closed, but open the inside weaves to lessen the torque on the spine and shoulders
  • Work concepts (acceleration/deceleration, start lines) on the flat

No comments: